Chiz Explores the World


The chronicles of my experiences abroad.


Friday, August 03, 2007

Hello Paris/Hello London

It's 5:30am and I was just awoken by Amalia knocking on the door saying we needed to be up because she forgot to change time zones. My asthma feels like it's acting up so I decided to write. Paris was a whirlwind! When I arrived Chris rushed to the hotel to meet me. The next morning we had to be up and out of the hotel early to try and miss the lines for the Eiffel Tower. We didn't of course. On the way there we picket up tickets to the Louvre so at least we wouldn't have to wait in line there.



It's knind of awkward the way the Eiffel Tower tickets are set up. You just pick a leg and hope that's the option you wanted. We walked up to the first two platforms and took a Willy Wonka elevator to the top. The view was great! We took a bout a million pictures and headed for the Louvre.



On the way there we stopped by the Arc de Triumph. I didn't appreciate it as much as I thought I would since it looked like a replica of the Constantine arch. The Lourvre though was fantastic. Since everyone wanted to see the Mona Lisa I was able to see other Italian artists I just learned about like Fra Angelico, Boticelli, Rafael, Giotto...

The Mona Lisa has her own free standing wall and is protected first by banisters and secondly by bulletproof glass. There were so many people crowded around to see her and I bet most of them don't know why she is so special.

After a long day on the road we stop for some french cuisine. I for one, was not impressed. I won't say it wasn't good, but with all the emphasis on great French good... it didn't live up to the hype. Yesterday morning Amalia, Jens and Jon rush off to see Notre Dame while Chris and I go on a search for souveniers. Unsuccessful in that area but we did find a great sandwich /bakery and a farmers market stand. We bought some of the best plum-ish things, there were little green ones and a little bigger yellow ones. MMM

We walked leisurely back to the hotel where his family was rushing out to catch the shuttle. And now after a smooth 2 hour and 15 minute Eurostar ride to London, I'm here. I'm on the last leg of my European journey!

We got settled in so late we just walked down the street to find somewhere to eat indian (because Brits suck at food we hear) It was very good, but pretty pricey considering the exchange rate. Today we are conquering London with a day tour.

Oh! I forgot to mention, at the Louvre we saw a diamond that was 140 carats. 140 Carats!!
Can you believe that?
Today we are supposed to see some that are even bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stalkers/Readers