Chiz Explores the World


The chronicles of my experiences abroad.


Sunday, August 23, 2009

Let Me Be Your Supernova Tonight

Lisa came to stay with me Wednesday and left to Spain Friday morning. I'm so glad she was able to experience Seoul. I really love cooking for more than just myself, so it was nice having her there Wednesday night.


Thursday night I met up with Lisa after work in Ghwanghwamun and ate some street food, tteokbok, before heading over to Hongdae. Whem we got there we wanted to try and find this coffee shop I had been to once before. On the way there, we were sidetracked by a booth representing the Seoul Fringe Festival. There were posters everywhere talking about it and we were a little curious to find out what it was. They had one final performance that night and we decided to attend. One of the interns, Jong-il, walked us to where it was happening. I assumed it was a film festival, but I was in for such a sweet surprise! We were led to the roof, handed a soda and a floor cushion. The "film" festival was actually a multidisciplinary festival including music, dance and theater in random venues. We saw a show completely told in live music, song and minimal set/props. It was fantastic!


After the show, we headed to our original destination with our new friend Jong-il. We enjoyed cappuccinos, tea, cheesecake and chocolate cake. We found out all about our new friend and then headed to another place for bindaetteok and makgeolli. At the second restaurant we sat next to a large group of Koreans who were eating their food with plastic gloves. I asked Jong-il why and one of the guys at the other table heard me. He told us that it was so spicy they didn't want to burn themselves if they accidentally touched their face. Oh man. He told me they were eating chicken feet and offered me some. I'd never tried it, so I said yes. In case you're wondering, it didn't taste like much besides crazy-burn-my-tongue-off-spicy.


Jong-il headed home, while Lisa and I decided to go for a foot massage. We get there and decide we would also like a full body massage. We didn't get out of there until 4:30am! By the time we got back to my house all we had time for was to figure out how to get her to the airport and repack her bag. I didn't sleep until 8:30 in the morning and woke up at 2pm to get to work.

So random.

Today I went to a "cultural exchange" with Matt, Connor, Samantha and Andrea. I've been really hesitant on attending one of these events because I've heard people just go to find dates. I suppose it's a lot like the people that go to clubs and bars, but this just seems so obvious. It's 15,000 won to get in, and you get unlimited beer, soju and anju. It was much better than I had expected. There were a fair share of weird and creepy people, but I met a couple of great girls! The best one is Anna and she learned all of her English from American dramas and tv shows. She speaks really well! I'm going to meet up with her this week for coffee and conversation. I can't wait.

Goodnight. Tomorrow, good morning rapids!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stalkers/Readers