Chiz Explores the World


The chronicles of my experiences abroad.


Friday, August 14, 2009

Advice for the ill-prepared expats in Korea

First of all, I'm astonished that I've started three entries in the month and nary a one has been published. Now it's been exactly a month and I feel that I must.

I've been quite busy. What with Summer Intensives and traveling here and there every weekend, I haven't had a moment to myself.

I decided I would write down the things I've encountered so far in Korea that could've went much more smoothly had I been informed.

  • Be prepared to not have any money coming your way for the first two months. I couldn't tell you how lucky I am to have people that care enough to lend me survival money.
  • Go to the Seoul Global Press Center as soon as you arrive. They have great information for expats, and provide many services for free. This was the easiest way of procuring a cell phone.
  • Join Korea Adventure. I love to travel and it is very difficult to plan and reserve when you don't speak the language. They take care of everything for you and have quite the selection of activities to choose from.
  • Buy a grandma cart. The kind that is made of metal with two big rubber wheels. It will save you when you realize you need to buy everything you need to live in your apartment and you don't have a car. It's good for groceries as well, unless you're lucky enough to encounter a very sweet Korean woman that carries half of your load with you to your elevator.
  • If you're taking a cab, write down the closest subway station in Hangul on a piece of paper. If you think you can pronounce it from the Romanized sign, you're wrong. You can point to tell them where you want to go from there and say Yogi (like the bear) when you want to stop.
  • When arriving to the airport, tell customs you would like to change your visa to a multiple entry visa. It will save you a lot of time if you plan on leaving the country at all during your stay.
  • Eating alone in Korea is somewhat difficult unless it's fast food. So, make friends or cook at home. I've been doing a lot of the latter.
  • Find a subway map you like and keep it with you at all times. I very much like the one from the back of the 100 Best of Seoul book. It's free from any tourism information center.
  • Bring hydrocortisone from home. The mosquitos are vicious here and it will save you from a sleepless night after an afternoon of bloodsucking.
  • Learn Hangul. I still haven't and I know it would make my life so much easier if I sat down and focused on it. Shame on me.

That's all for now. I'll experience more and add to this list.

I'm looking forward to rafting and bungee jumping weekend after next. I have also had a fantastic time meeting people and making new friends. Saturday I plan on riding the Seoul City Bus tour and attending a professional soccer game with Matt, after which Holly and John will be coming up to do some midnight shopping (finally!). This weekend will no doubtably be fun. As always it seems.

1 comment:

  1. If ever I were to add another portmanteau to my personal dictionary, it would be now...and it would be:

    JEALOUSPIRING.

    Thank you so much for this post as it has some practical uses for other wordly travels and if/when I do head over to Korea--this will be a post I dig up immediately. Or I can just call you, haha--course, I run the risk of calling you whilst you are out adventuring.

    Jealouspiring, 'as always it seems'.

    ReplyDelete

Stalkers/Readers