Chiz Explores the World


The chronicles of my experiences abroad.


Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Io compro una pizza italiana

The plan to make dinner Saturday night turned into a McD's run. Now don't laugh because the McD's here is fucking swank. Leather couches, original artwork, trendy music... the list goes on. After that we come back to my apartment and figure out a way to watch a movie I took from Sirena's Ipod on my computer with the help of Helena's Ipod speakers. Sirena and I do a countdown so the sound is in sync and we do a pretty good job. So here we are... the four of us chillin on my bed watching Me, You and Everyone We Know on a Macbook that is balancing on my suitcase and a rolling chair. How I love lazy fun.

Sunday I don't get up and moving until around 3 and that is only because we made plans that we would definitely cook dinner tonight. Helena and I treck down to their apartment in hopes that they will still be waiting for us. By the time we get there it's past five and nobody answers the doorbell. I notice something stuck to the bottom of my shoe and then my thoughts start to run like this:
"What the fuck is on my shoe"
"Hey it's a sticky note"
"Is that english?"
"Hey that's my name!"
It ends up Sirena and Lauree had written a note to us letting us know they ran to the grocery store since we took so goddamn long. It was quite convenient that it ended up on my shoe.

While Helena and I try to pass the time we walk into this "mini-mart" that has bittermelon, and Mama Sita mix for adobo and pancit palabok and they also have halo-halo mix. Who would have known?

Dinner was fabulous. Linguine with a primavera sauce, mushrooms and sundried tomatoes, garlic bread, salad, and asparagus (my most favorite veggie in the world). MMMM followed by some granita and a few drinks at the Duomo. Salute Jesus :)

We went to the first orphanage in Italy today-which conveniently is in Florence- and is still in operation today. I was getting a little emotional when I saw kids running around.... After we went to the church right next to it. Both are pretty well hidden so there were almost no tourists lurking about (except for us of course) I lit a candle at the alter for St. Anthony de Padua for my grammy and just in time since mass began while we were still walking around. Eek


So I've noticed things that happen here that make me laugh.

The sidewalks are very narrow and are made out of cobblestone-huge rectangular blocks of stone that have been there for longer than gum takes to digest. Of course, since they have been there so long they tend to settle in different directions. This causes for some major trips while drunk in heels, and while sober in flats by everyone surronding me.
Hence the previous title "Death by Cobblestone" (Sirena, p 47).

Also since the sidewalks are so narrow, anytime we travel together-as a class or otherwise- we must travel in a single file line. The songs "Hi ho" by the Seven Dwarfs and "The Wizard of Oz" enter into my thoughts and thus I tend to break into song.

Sitting in my survival italian class I continually mix up Spanish and Italian. Today was my first day with this professor and the first thing I say is:
"Fa culo." when I mean to say "Fa caldo."
The latter meaning "It's hot outside." and the previous meaning "Fuck off."
We hit it off quite well.

The mosquitos here are a rare breed. They kick it in groups and don't bother you until you are so hot you can't stand it, strip down to as little as possible and open all your windows. That's when they come. Bastards.

Lauree decides she is craving nothing but pizza tonight. We are all too lazy to get off our asses and leave my apartment so we decide to order delivery. Everyone else has had two italian classes while I have only had the one today. None of us know more than 10 verbs and how to conjugate in the present tense. This caused for quite the entertaining phone call.
I'll translate literally in English:
"Hi. How many pizza per person? How much? I buy four pizza. To drink Pepsi. I live Via della Vigna Nuova, 26. What time to arrive? Thank you."
In the midst of all that is asking to hold so we can figure out how to say something and a lot of umms and uhhhs with mixed up words. It made me chuckle.

1 comment:

  1. nice, chiz, it sounds like your life should be taped as well. keep it country, chiz! love you.

    ReplyDelete

Stalkers/Readers