Chiz Explores the World


The chronicles of my experiences abroad.


Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Good Evening Class!

Getting to work today was quite the exciting frustrating adventure. On a map I have, one of the folks from work circled where out school is in relation to the hotel I'm staying at. I tried walking to it yesterday and failed. Even though I couldn't find it then, I was totally confident in being able to find it today. Wrong. I ended up hailing a cab and having him call the number on the business card. The school wasn't even on the printout map I had. On top of that I was expected to be at a 2:30pm meeting about which I had never been told. Tomorrow will be better.
Today was my first day in a classroom. The original game plan was for me to shadow for a week and then take over someone else's schedule on the 20th. Nope. Not today. One of the teacher's had a sore throat and wanted to go home, so that left the option of me teaching.

I was so happy the class I was teaching was learning the same lesson I had prepped for during the training. I step into the classroom and these kids are zombies. They're all about middle school age and in a lower level class. So not only are they in their awkward stage, but their embarrassed about how they speak English. These kids also have had school since 7am nonstop until my 7pm class that doesn't end until 10pm. I would probably want to kill myself if I had that schedule.

Just imagine me standing up in front of that class using all the energy and animation I can muster to get these kids engaged, and they just stay zombie-like. However, they did start to warm up to me when it came to reading and speaking. I'll take that :)

I met a bunch of the other teachers and after class a few of us decide to go out to celebrate. At first I was a little disappointed that more people weren't coming. I really don't want to have lame co-workers, right. It ended up being six of us heading to a chicken and beer place. They seem really cool. John is going to help me go dSLR shopping after I get my first paycheck. He's trying to convince me to ride a motorcycle while I'm here as well. Oh man. Eunice is also from Cali, albeit LA. Brandon is an Apple whiz. He can jailbreak my iPhone for me! Bruce from Scotland had attended the same school my sister Niki is attending in Thailand right now. Wtf! Such a small world.

I hope it's not another torrential downpour tomorrow and that I get there on time.

1 comment:

  1. Small world indeed! Disney was on to something with that song. I love how everyone you mentioned had specialized talents of sorts--it was like some Mission Impossible crack team put together to thwart evil-doers. In this case, zombie kids from education hell!

    AwwooooOooo Ooooowwwoooo.

    I can only imagine how they felt having to sit through hours of schooling. Yikes. I hope it pays off for them somehow. Childhood creativity is precious.

    Looking forward to hearing more, and also the type of dSLR you end up snagging.

    ReplyDelete

Stalkers/Readers